Saturday, November 8, 2008

Bring Back the Edsel While We're At It




Apparently, Congress wants the Treasury department to give some of the $700 billion bailout money to the Big 3 automakers.

"A healthy automobile manufacturing sector is essential to the restoration of financial market stability, the overall health of our economy, and the livelihood of the automobile sector's work force," Congress says.

I agree, but floating billions to companies that should go under is no way to make for a healthy sector.

The Big 3 need to go under. Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Volkswagon, whomever needs to come in and buy them. Frightening as that will be for many Americans, it is the only way America will ever have a healthy automobile manufacturing sector.

Yes, the capital will be owned overseas, which kind of sucks for us, but the factory jobs will stay here, and for the first time in my lifetime, American automobile factories will truly be able to compete.

Why? Because the United Auto Workers won't be able to bully around foreign companies. The auto unions will be left with a choice: work for a living like everyone else or watch all the jobs go someplace else.

1 comment:

Nilfisk said...

I'm freaking out tonight. I keep wondering who would want to manufacture a lot of this stuff I see sitting around - little screws, knobs, odd shaped plastic pieces, all kinds of this'n'that. I mean, what's the motivation for that? I doubt anyone has "the fire" for it and yet, somehow somebody goes and makes all that stuff. I guess I'm a little more than worried about the whole situation tonight.